Saturday, July 9, 2011

Will they be happy?

One thing that I asked P a zillion times while we were waiting to tell our families and friends and send out our announcement was "Will they be happy?"  Not that I really care what other people think, but I really had no idea what people would say about the adoption.

No words can describe the outpouring of love and support we have received.

Phonecalls, emails, greeting cards, flowers...you name it.

Laughter, tears, screams, words, or can't-find-the-words.

It has been amazing.

I get a phonecall from my sister every day, saying (jokingly) "Is E here yet?"

My mom has forwarded me emails from near and far, from people I barely know, and know so well.  It's like having our own e-cheering squad.

One of my favorite moments was the 10:30pm phonecall from Cape Cod...my parents had just shared the news in person with my godfather and aunt...the words of congratulations were beautiful, but it was the sound of "happiness" in the background...laughter, hugs, corks popping...that kind of "let's talk about this all night" feeling.  The "buzz" was palpable even over the phone.

So, now, I'm embarassed for even asking, "Will they be happy?"  I should have given everyone more credit and known that the people who matter to us are the kind of people to have enough room in their hearts to love a little girl, half a world away.

No comments: